How to use SMS verification
Note: SMS verification is provided at no extra charge as part of the Premium plan.
SMS verification allows you to verify the mobile number of your subscribers as an additional security measure. This is how it works:
- User signs up on your Maitre form entering their email address and phone number
- An SMS with a confirmation link is sent to the phone number provided
- After the user confirms their phone number a confirmation email is sent.
- After the email address is confirmed, the user is verified
Subscribers will be considered verified ONLY when both their phone numbers and email address is verified.
Add phone number field to your form
To send SMS we need a telephone number. You can collect telephone numbers by enabling the "Extra field" in your form.
Go to your campaign dashboard > Edit > Widget > Optin form and switch on the Extra field.
Save your changes.
Turn on SMS verification
We use Twilio to send SMS, therefore you will need to create a Twilio app and provide us with your Twilio API keys. Follow the instructions below to get your Twilio API keys.
- Go to Twilio and login or create an account
- Create a new project and choose "Programmable SMS"
- After you create a project Twilio will ask you to create a Twilio phone number. This is the number your SMS will use for the sender number. Take note of it.
- Twilio will now show you your API credentials. Take note of your Account SID and Auth token keys.
Now go back to Maître and go to your campaign dashboard > Settings > Security and toggle on "Enable SMS verification". Enter the Twilio Account SID, Twilio Auth Token and Twilio number you just got from Twilio and optionally change your SMS message. The SMS message is the message your subscribers will get when they sign up. It MUST contain the special tag %confirmation_link% (which will be replaced with that specific subscriber's confirmation link).
Save your changes and your widget will be updated automatically!
Resend verification SMS
If your users don't receive the confirmation SMS, they can resend themselves a confirmation SMS by entering their email address in the widget and clicking "Resend verification SMS".
Important things to know
A few things to know when using SMS verifications:
- Make sure you select a phone number with global SMS capability. If you don't, some of your users will not receive the SMS.
- If Test mode is enabled, SMS won't be sent.
- The phone number we send the SMS to is taken from the "extra field". Your users should enter their phone number including the country code (eg: +16572206234).
- If your Twilio account runs out of funds the SMS will fail to send and your users will not be able to sign up. Make sure your Twilio account has always enough funds.
- If one-click sign up is enabled, your users who opt-in with one-click sign up will not be sent a confirmation SMS, nor a confirmation email.
- When using the API, if "double_optin" is disabled, your users will not be sent a confirmation SMS, nor a confirmation email.